- Available in two standard sizes.
- Used for spill clean-up operations in warehouses, factories and drain protection.
- On inland waterways, settlement ponds, lagoons and shoreline (beach) areas.
- Mainly for temporary use.
- 3 metres of sorbent boom are capable of recovering up to 70 litres of oil or floating chemicals.
- Make up part of opec’s emergency spill kits and tanker spill kits
sizes are available:
- SB 8/10 - Nominal
8” wide and 10’ long
- SB _ - Nominal 3” wide and 4’ long
An OPEC Sorbent
Boom is a ‘fibre filled woven fabric that has been
stitched closed’. This basically means that the fibre
filling adsorbs the oil while allowing the water to pass
through, effectively acting as a filter which does not allow
the oil to pass outside the boomed area.
The fibre filling
is a special polypropylene crimped fibre opened and blown
into the fabric. The fibre is specially treated to make
it hygroscopic, (repels water). The material is already
oleophillic, (has an affinity for hydrocarbons).
The fabric cover
is produced from polypropylene fabric which is woven with
sufficient picks to allow total enclosure of the fibre whilst
allowing an ingress of oil.
of the SB 8/10 booms have rope support and velcro for to
create strength as well as a seal.
The rope support
is stitched into a special selvage in the outer fabric of
the cover and provides the strength to allow multiple booms
to be joined together. Each length of rope is spliced at
each end, with one ring and one clip to allow quick, safe
connection. The rope and overall length including the ring
and clip is slightly shorter than the overall length of
the boom to allow an overlap of an adjoining boom.
The velcro is stitched into the
outer cover at each end of the boom to form a seal
at each end to reduce the possibility of leakage of
oil from each section.
Home / Products / Oil Pollution Spill Response / Oil & Chemical Adsorbent Booms