Oil Spill Dispersants
OPEC provides an environmentally friendly, highly efficient oil dispersant for dealing with oil spills (slicks) at sea.
What is an oil slick dispersant?
- A mix of solvents and surfactants to disperse oil into water
- Designed to break down the surface tension between oil and the surrounding water
- Drops out oil from the surface into smaller surface areas
- Sits in the water with neutral buoyancy
- Does not sink
- Enables marine microbes to naturally biodegrade the oil
- Extremely fast process in comparison to leaving it to the natural environment to deal with oil on water